canberrabirds

Most famous Canberra Bird?

Subject: Most famous Canberra Bird?
From: Con Boekel <>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 19:17:11 +1000

There was a very useful meeting between Anthony Overs, Ian Fraser, Anne
Duncan (Director of the ANBG) and myself earlier during the week to
canvass ideas about the Powerful Owl in the ANBG and how COG and the
ANBG might work together. Anthony will discuss with the COG Committee
and I am confident that the outcomes will be good for the ANBG, COG and
the Powerful Owl.

Con

Julian Robinson wrote:
It seems that everyone agrees that the Owl, because of its choice of
location, its name and its nuanced staying power (including clever
trick of disappearing for a while then reappearing) the owl is/was
Canberra's Most Famous Ever Bird. John Rawsthorne also maintains an
alternative National scoring methodology on which Canberra Owl scored
a 45/70, just beating the nearest contender "javan pond heron in
Darwin" at 44, so it may be a national winner as well.

I wasn't thinking that this bird would on its own drive people into
joining COG or to become environmentalists, but that the occasion
could have been used, as it partly was, to promote COG.

Is there a case for leveraging the exposure next time by inserting COG
promotional info along with identified COG expert analysis into press
reports and/or stationing volunteers with "COG" on their lapels at the
bird site (as was suggested by Anthony and Ian)? Or even for being
more pro-active and occasionally submitting similar stories with
emphasis on COG-the-club to media?

Besides that, from the number of non-bird people who knew about the
owl and mentioned it (and without exaggerating too much - with some
awe and wonder), this bird on its own must have raised public
consciousness of birds in and around Canberra. By incrementally
influencing mindset, this could only help in encouraging
bird-protection support from within government and from the public, in
particular towards modifying and limiting development proposals to
take account of affected birds. The best and most topical example
would be Lower Molonglo (or 'Central Molonglo' as it's identified in
the proposal).

Julian