canberrabirds

Robin viewing

To: "Ruth Parker" <>
Subject: Robin viewing
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 18:50:59 +1000
There are many areas in Canberra where one can see these. Tidbinbilla is about as good as many. Depends how mobile your 90 yo is. Time of day is whatever is convenient for an old person. In the winter, when it doesn't get as hot as in summer, the importance of not trying to find birds in the heat of the day is less. So in June I don't think it matters. This is the right time of year. The Flame Robin tends to like more open areas, so the paddocks at the entry to TNR are likely spots. The Scarlet Robin tends to like more treed areas so within the park may be better. However there is nothing unusual about finding them within the same tree or sitting on adjoining fence posts or verbascum stalks.

The first BOC trip I ever went on, we had a pair of Rose and Pink Robins in the one tree. That hasn't happened to me again.