canberrabirds

Peregrine Falcon roadkill

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: Peregrine Falcon roadkill
From: "Michael & Janette Lenz" <>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 18:57:51 +1000
This morning on the Mountain Creek Rd on the way to Wee Jasper we found a freshly killed Peregrine. There was a second peregrine  (I assumed it to be the partner) in a tree closely, although it was chased away by  several Sulphur-crested Cockatoos. The road victim had just started to pluck a female Wood Duck right on the edge of the road. We collected the dead falcon and placed the Wood Duck on the top of a low embankment a few meters away.

We stopped at the site again on the way back (to take a GPS reading) and to my surprise the Duck was neatly plucked and eaten as a peregrine does (bird still on its back in same position as we had left it), wings still connected to the largely intact skeleton, but much of the meat removed. Perhaps the pair had hunted together and the living partner had returned to the prey for its share (?). I can't fully exclude other avian scavengers such as Australian Ravens. But I doubt that they would have left the bird in the way we found it (I have seen A. Ravens feeding on a Wood Duck  at the ANU, and the corpse ended up being rather mangled).

Michael Lenz