canberrabirds

Small rapid parrots

To: <>
Subject: Small rapid parrots
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 11:39:18 +1000

On Monday I went with Belinda Cooke of the Swift Parrot recovery team to get some footage of captive birds successfully raised by a breeder in the Cessnock area.  Down that way, once you got your eye in there were small parrots everywhere with Little Lorikeets going over regularly.  Each morning they were active in the middle of Cessnock, and probably all over the place.  Now, what do you think is going on in the following?

2 MLs_2469.jpg

There was a cage of Musk Lorikeets and some slices of apple were thrown on top of it.  The bird with its back to the camera is captive bird.  The one through the wire is a wild bird that has come down to share the food.

As to the Swift Parrots, Belinda followed up a report from Alan Morris and found numbers of them in the streets of Bateau Bay on Tuesday morning.  Going there myself yesterday morning, there were certainly quite a few in the streets behind the BB shops.  It was a bit hard to estimate numbers as they were mixed up with a lot of musks but I watched them for 2 hours and at one point there were 15 in a couple of trees, then 5 more flew in and then another 10, so I’d say at least 30.   Some juveniles.