canberrabirds

crowds and owls

To: "Jenny Bounds" <>, <>
Subject: crowds and owls
From: "Overs, Anthony \(REPS\)" <>
Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 09:36:52 +1000

I have been informed that the ANBG chief ranger was a bit over the whole thing yesterday and ordered everyone away from the owl.

I guess people need to keep in mind that the owl is supposed to be asleep during the day, so remember to be as quiet as possible and only stay for a short period to have a look. While there at lunch time yesterday with four or five other folks the owl was asleep with head turned. It woke briefly and peaked through a barely open eye lid. It is definitely possible to approach have a look and move on without waking it.

The last thing we want is to upset the owl or the gardens staff.

The bottom line is that the owl will move to another day roost if disturbed too much. Many of you that saw the bird on Sunday will note that it was much higher and a bit more closed in yesterday. Other birds seen in other locations like Sydney and Melbourne parks have been subjected to similar numbers of noisy observers and those birds have hung around for more than one or two days.

Maybe we need a crowd controller at the gardens. I had certainly thought of charging admission on Sunday morning. Somehow I think I would have been run out of town.

Looking forward to hearing about it today!

Anthony