canberrabirds

on Powerful Owls

To: "'Anthony Overs'" <>, "'martin butterfield'" <>, "'Overs, Anthony \(REPS\)'" <>
Subject: on Powerful Owls
From: "Mark Clayton" <>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 20:32:55 +1000

G’day all,

As Anthony knows, I was one of the binocular wielding hordes in the ANBG this morning, along with Sue Newbery and her son Nicholas, and Noel Luff. I returned later this afternoon to show the owl to my wife after she finished work, and ran into two of the ladies from the CSIRO Sustainable Ecosystems library who had been to a lunch time meeting in the gardens, as well as Margaret and Bill Robertson enjoying cuppa after a successful viewing, and several other former work colleagues enjoying the sunshine. I showed the library ladies the owl and joined the former colleagues for afternoon tea. As Anthony has said there was a steady procession of binocular toting and camera carrying bodies beating a determined path to the owl. Most of the people I did not know apart from Jerry Olsen. The ladies in the café knew that there was an unusual owl in the gardens but not where it was. I managed to take one of the staff, who was given a “couple of minutes off” up to show her the bird so she could show the rest of her colleagues what all the fuss was about. She was most impressed. They did know about Southern Boobooks, and I gather they do find out about the birds etc from café patrons. I am not quite sure if the total number of birdos in the gardens was close to the numbers that chased the Grey-headed Lapwing but it must have been close. I imagine the coffers of the ANBG swelled greatly from the parking revenue. Thanks again to Anthony for letting us all know that the bird was there. I have a friend in Sweden who is most jealous of all those who have seen it – she has missed it on several visits to Australia – maybe I should have tried harder to find it for her! Oh well, next time

Mark