canberrabirds

birds on the south coast

To: <>
Subject: birds on the south coast
From: "bump" <>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2007 07:37:34 +1000

Hi all,

While camping at North Head (Murrimurang NP, just north of Batemans) we saw a family group of Glossy Blacks (3) on Thursday morning and then right in the campground on Friday a Spangled Drongo which we all enjoyed as it alternately perched and hawked for insects for about 10 minutes; having rather slipped in my dedication to birding recently didn’t have binos to see its “Spangles but it had a very developed forked tail so presumably was an adult.  I was surprised to see the species so late in the year.

Beautiful beach too with numbers of gannets, 4 sea eagles (the variation in sizes was really marked) and 1 single whistling kite.

Cheers,

Peter Miller