canberrabirds

Wood Ducklings

To: "Ian Fraser" <>
Subject: Wood Ducklings
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2007 10:50:27 +1000 (EST)
When I returned to my car in Kathner St this morning at 08.30, the
ducklings were in the adjacent paddock with their parents, under attack by
magpies.  Three magpies had the family surrounded - the ducklings were
huddled between the two parents - while the magpies took turns to peck at
them and try to get at the ducklings.  For the two or three minutes that I
watched, the adult Wood Ducks were bravely holding their ground, but there
seemed no way out of the situation for them as they were on open ground
with no cover for several metres.  I wasn't able to stay to see whether
the magpies eventually gave up or where successful.

By the way, today was the fourth consecutive day that I've tried
unsuccessfully for the Pied BBB!  I was out before dawn this morning and
didn't even have the consolation of seeing Ian's Spotted Harrier!  Other
birds of passing interest were 2 Brown Goshawks, a female or immature
Satin Bowerbird (unusual location?), a pair of Scarlet Robins (male
singing - do they sing all year?), a Restless Flycatcher and 2 Southern
Whiteface.

Regards
Frank