canberrabirds

Callum Brae cuckoo ID please

To: <>
Subject: Callum Brae cuckoo ID please
From: Julian Robinson <>
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 01:27:03 +1100
Thanks Ian and Mark - I should have asked "what is it and why?".  I actually looked at Marg's cuckoo and decided mine (actually Sue Lashko's since she located it) was probably different, so ...here's a question about approach.  When you identify juveniles and since the plumage looks nothing like the adults or immatures in the field guides, are you identifying by experience having seen them before, or from illustrations/descriptions in more comprehensive books like HANZAB, or some other way?

Pizzey tells me that the juv Pallid Cuckoo looks 'grotesque' but Marg's pic didn't strike me that way. What diagnostic features make this a Pallid?  Maybe just that it is not brown since others seem to be brown, at least in the more advanced stages shown in field guides.

I went back this pm, and in two days it has completely outgrown the nest and looks huge.  Easy to see how they appear at RSPCA's door - this bird is draped around and over the nest which hangs precariously and could easily fall, with unfledged baby, to the ground.

Cheers

Julian

[]