canberrabirds

RE:Black tap lizard....

To: "terry gourlay" <>, <>
Subject: RE:Black tap lizard....
From: "Rod's Gardening" <>
Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 21:48:18 +1100
Hi Terry

Perhaps the vermin control should start at the top ... I was paddling West Basin today when I heard a disturbance coming from the (lower) grounds of the GG's residence near the wharf. Next thing a fox came into view carrying a large bird which I think was a Purple Swamphen. I may have been mistaken as a Raven was calling very loudly and swooping the fox as it ran away so the victim may have been another Raven. In the process a flock of perhaps a hundred Wood Ducks took fright and took flight. Not that any of these birds are the rarest in the territory but who knows what other wildlife is being harassed in these hallowed (and well fenced) grounds ... Incidentally to back up what you say, just before Christmas I came across a deceased Blue tongue in a Weston garden, probably the victim of a neighbour's cat.

Not much else to report from the lake, however there are four active Silver Gull nests on a vessel moored opposite the Water Police facility, along with two downy chicks, one about twice the size of the other.

At the coast over Christmas plenty of the usual Durras suspects, including Pied and Sooty Oystercatchers near the lake mouth Eastern Reef Egret on the rocks, and a little out of the ordinary was a Brown Cuckoo dove .

Non-birding highlight was a magnificent Red bellied black snake on the edge of the bush at the bottom of the "resort" - apparently has been in residence for a while, but will it survive a busy Christmas period.

Cheers

Rod