canberrabirds

Some sightings today

To: <>
Subject: Some sightings today
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:11:03 +1100

Ah, the shrike-tits of the Newline paddock.  This pair has baffled me over the last few years.  Early in the season one regularly hears the calls, then watches the odd busy M or F, or both, near the small waterhole.  Then the heat and grass-seeds intervene, so they have the weed-infested lot to themselves.  Later, come the predictable sightings of ‘dependant juv being fed’ at or near the very spot.

If I were really dedicated to this quest, I would take a chair and be prepared to spend a few days there.  That is the only way to be sure of finding the nest.

The nest is a small but deep cup of fine grasses and spiderweb binding together slender twigs at the top of a euc.  This would have to be in one of 3-4 Red Boxes to the south of the waterhole.  The time to find it is in November when the female alone does the building, trailed at a distance of a few metres by the non-building male.  Due to the tiny bits of stuff used in the construction, she must make many trips, always followed by her consort.  Probably the nest is being finished just about now.  So much other birdy activity to keep up with, though, at this time of year.

I am surprised at the report of  ‘2 pairs’.  Possibly young of previous nestings are still around.