canberrabirds

COG's bird blitz

To: "Barbara Allan" <>, <>
Subject: COG's bird blitz
From: "Jack and Andrea Holland" <>
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2006 20:16:50 +1100
My team, slightly modified from last year, "blitzed" beyond the locked gates at the Upper Cotter/Cotter Flats area of Namadgi.  Despite the fine and cool weather bird activity was rather quiet due to the dry conditions, and numbers seemed down on the rather wet day last year.  Broad-leaved peppermint was  profusely flowering on the way, but little flowering was observed on our survey sites.

All my group really enjoyed getting out to a part of the ACT that usually has restricted access.  Yellow-faced, White-eared and White-naped HE, Red Wattlebirds and the 2 pardalotes were by far the most common species.  My highlights were 3 Rufous Songlarks less than a km north of the Cotter Hut, plus at least 1 along the Aust Alpine trail, all in pretty dense areas with dead emergent trees - more wooded habitat than usual.  I was surprised to find them there and ensured I saw as well as heard them, but their presence in the area was confirmed by the ACT Atlas.  This spot was the most productive with Fuscous Honeyeater, loads of Dusky Woodswallows (including one on a nest), quite a few Fan-tailed cuckoos, several Sacred Kingfishers and a single Satin Bowerbird.  I also recorded 3 Tree Martins close to the Cotter Hut (surprised that the ACT Atlas doesn't list them there).

My thanks to all who participated in this year's blitz, and also to those who have shared their experiences by posting them on this chat line, often with good humour.  But most of all I'd like to publicly thank Barbara Allan once again for almost single-handedly organising this very successful event, which should give a very good snapshot of bird life in the ACT in a much drier year.

While Barbara has indicated that she wishes to retire from this role, I'll be doing my best to ensure that it remains a very important part of the COG calendar.  Once again Barbara my sincerest thanks for having devised and organised this very important event for the first 2 years, and while you may be withdrawing from a public role in future blitzes, I'm sure your name will remain associated with it in members' minds for many years to come.

Jack Holland