canberrabirds

ACT bird books

To: <>
Subject: ACT bird books
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2006 18:14:44 +1000
Thanks Ian,

I'm pretty sure the COG Atlas is long out of print. Sadly. Wouldn't it be great and impressive for COG to redo that entire project and publication 20 years on? Yes the Atlas started on 1 September 1986 and went for three years. The technology is so much better now. There are certainly enough changes in the environment and the birds to make it interesting. Who would be willing to take on a role like that, with the benefit of hindsight? Certainly McComas Taylor and I, both voluntarily put years of our life into doing the Atlas and the GBS, for COG, and are both very proud of the result but are not likely to repeat this. He even had his clever little field guide to birds, published by the National Parks Association. The COG Atlas is fundamentally similar to other Atlas type bird books but because of the scale of the ACT, it goes into really good local detail. As for "Steve Wilson's truly excellent Birds of the ACT: Two Centuries of Change" It tells about the discovery of the ACT birds. As such it is quite different from your run of the mill type of bird books, which is quite nice. I don't know of anything similar. I have noticed it is also available at the Old Parliament House bookshop. As is the GBS Report. We are lucky in Canberra.