canberrabirds

Info needed: Cockatoos, parrots

To: <>
Subject: Info needed: Cockatoos, parrots
From: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 15:15:23 +1000

An ABC filming team is looking for material on cockatoos and parrots.  The director of the project is visiting Canberra in the next couple of weeks, but will only bring a film-crew if there is a reasonably certain prospect of something to film.  They are looking for shots of –

a)       feeding Gang-gangs

b)      feeding YTBCs

They would also be interested in feeding King-Parrots and feeding Superb Parrots.  They have enough corellas, white cockatoos, rosellas etc.

I am inclined to advise that given the time of year and current trends, there is not a good prospect of getting the footage sought at the present time.  However, others might think that this is too pessimistic.  Does anyone know of any local, reasonably regular, feeding haunts of the species concerned at the present time?  Any YTBCs at Kowen Forest, for example, or GGs at ANU?  My impression is that the Superbs at present are only appearing as advance parties in Canberra, and irregularly.  It seems to me that the Kings have now largely left the suburbs and there is only the odd transient party moving around.

If you have any more promising intelligence, please reply to me directly.    Geoffrey