canberrabirds

silver gull

To: Canberra Birds <>
Subject: silver gull
From: John Leonard <>
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:06:38 +1100
At my parents' house in Britian in the 1970s when I was growing up we grew strawberries. Blackbirds love strawberries, so we covered them in nets (the strawberries that is). Then we had to go up the garden every few hours to untangle Blackbirds from these nets. I remember noting at the time that some birds fought hard when we were untangling them, but others were quite passive. Were the passive ones ones who had previously been released, or are some Blackbirds more prone to trust humans than others. Or is 'trusting humans' an anthropocentric interpretation, aren't they are just using the technique of 'playing possum' until they can suddenly twist themselves out of the predator's hands (or claws) and escape?

Finally, is 'trusting humans', if this is what it is, a long-term evolutionary advantage?

John Leonard