canberrabirds

superbs still

Subject: superbs still
From: John Brannan <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:21:58 +1100
I came across a small group (c.12) of Superbs as I was walking back down from Mt Painter in Cook yesterday afternoon. They were just south of Redfern St in the trees in the reserve that runs down from Cook towards Macquarie Oval. It was a bit hard to tell with them flying around all the time, but the proportions of adults to juveniles were more or less consistent with what others have reported. I counted 2 definite adult males, 2 adult females and at least 3 dependent (i.e. begging) juveniles, though there were probably more. They seemed to be in transit rather than feeding on anything.
Anyway, that prompted me to wonder whether there might be more Superbs up in the Nature Park along Hawker ridge, so I went for a quick look around today and didn't see any. But it was worth the trip as I got my first good look at a Gray Currawong, as well as a Jacky Winter family with 2 dependent young (saw an adult feed one of them a caterpillar), and a pair of Southern Whitefaces, which I haven't seen in Canberra up until now.

Back to the Superbs though... Does anyone have any theories as to what is drawing them to the narrow band that spans Macquarie Oval and the Belconnen car parks? A particular combination of food, perhaps? They seem to be eating seeds on the Oval and lerps in the car parks. Is there something about the carpark eucalypts that makes them more attractive?

John Brannan

The Superb congregation is still frequenting the area between the Belconnen fruit market carpark, the DIMIA carpark and Belconnen Mall upper carparks. I counted 37 Superbs in the fruit market trees at 8am this morning, and while they were moving about a lot, there appeared to be roughly 25% male, 25% female and 50% juveniles – the last named nearly all begging furiously and being fed. Masses more in the further trees. The adult birds were working over the backs of the gum leaves, presumably in search of lerps.  And Rod’s comment about them using Silver Birch was borne out in my neighbour’s garden also this am. How much longer will we enjoy this bonanza, I wonder? Rosemary, are they still at Mt Rogers? b

--
36 Challinor Cres., Florey, Canberra ACT 2615, Australia
Ph.: (+612) 6258 6038	Fax: (+612) 6258 6238