canberrabirds

True-life adventures with Superb Parrots

To: "Geoffrey Dabb" <>, <>
Subject: True-life adventures with Superb Parrots
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:15:03 +1100
I have never seen a better display of the fact that there is little difference (as in this case) between a uniformed person and an uninformed person as in Geoffrey's passage below.

extract:
After a minute or so, a couple of uniformed persons burst (the only word I can think of for it) into the foyer, evidently in pursuit of myself, about whom 'reports' had been made.  I shall probably offer a fuller report of the ensuing remarkable conversation, which had some disturbing aspects, on another occasion.   For the present, I shall just say that I was told that I would be 'stopped' if I attempted to use my  camera, or binoculars, outside but near the perimeter of the car-park.  No statement of the authority for that action was available.  Of the 4 other persons involved in the conversation, none had heard of Superb Parrots, or, I sensed, even believed that such things existed.

It reminds me of the time during the COG atlas that I was chased by police, somewhere along the gravel back road between Tharwa and Ingledene when I had stopped to admire some courting shovelers in a farm dam, and the time I wandered around the Belconnen labour club car park near the tax office filming a very reclusive Regent Honeyeater.