canberrabirds

it's all happening in Macquarie

To: "Lashko Susan" <>, "Frank Antram" <>, <>
Subject: it's all happening in Macquarie
From: "shaun bagley" <>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 18:13:10 +1100
I visited today at lunchtime, this being my first experience of static
Superbs (only seen flying overhead before). Truly superb. Was quite amazed
at how unafraid they seemed when on the ground. I stood still about 25
metres from a group of 2 males, 1 female and 3 youngsters. Watched them
feeding on grass seeds with 2 of the youngsters brazenly begging from a
male. Rather than work away from me they came to within 10m before a Red
Wattlebird chasing one of their bretheren broke up the party.

Also watched another female eating lerps off gum leaves from very close by
until a Galah chased her away. Found it quite difficult to see them in the
trees and even on the ground which surprised me given how gorgeous they are.

My final comment is that if you want to see these beautiful birds get out
there soon. Once school is back I doubt this area will be so inviting for
them.

Cheers
Shaun