canberrabirds

it's all happening in Macquarie

To: <>
Subject: it's all happening in Macquarie
From: "Lashko Susan" <>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:35:55 +1100
I did my morning walk today via Macquarie oval where I counted 84 Superb
Parrots of which only ~15-20 were adult males.  (I only had my small
lightweight binos with me so couldn't separate juveniles and females without
flushing them all).Most were feeding on the southern edge of the oval in either
the 'browned off' grass or the lush green grass on the slope above - here they
were almost invisible to the naked eye.  This was at 8.15.  A koel was also
calling.

I continued across the oval heading north and saw 16 more on the corner of
Fulton and Catchpole Streets - these then flew off towards the oval.  >From
there I walked to Belconnen Markets and found another 10 in the trees at the
northern end of the carpark - they too flew off towards Macquarie oval.  Then I
walked through to Nettlefold Street and found 6 more on the corner of Josephson
Street feeding in the tops of eucalypts.

I then did a loop through the eastern half of Page and the eastern edge of
Weetangera but didn't find any more.  However, I'm reasonably satisfied that I
saw at least 116 different Superbs.

Sue