canberrabirds

Happy --------

To: "canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Happy --------
From: "Martin and Frances" <>
Date: Sat, 24 Dec 2005 18:02:48 -0500
I suspect that the thought police in the US automatically trash any messages which don't say "Happy Holidays" but  I will start with Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year to all.

As the pud and mince pies descend you may wish to contemplate the following collection of collective nouns for US birds courtesy of the American Littoral Society:
A retreat of yellow-bellied sapsuckers;
An outbreak of spotted sandpipers (tricky that: we call them common sandpipers);
A consensus of blackpoll warblers;
A flowering of orchard orioles;
A nausea of worm-eating warblers.

Far be it from me to suggest how the leader of the next quiz night undertakes his duties but noting his predilection for innovative use of language there would seem to be a few inquisitional possibilities thrown up (sorry, can't get past the last item in the list) by this.

Also, I happened upon a book today entitled "The naming of plants"  which purported to be about the history of how plants got named named.  I referred to the index and found no entries for eucalyptus or Banks.  Was I being ethnocentric?  I looked up Solander to keep my Swedish friends happy: nada.  I think I'd pass on that volume(although Linnaeus did get a couple of references).

I have been given a copy of Lives of North American Birds by Kenn Kaufmann.  It seems to be an excellent reference work: not intended for a field guide but most interesting.

Again,  Happy Holidays