canberrabirds

Tales from the Blitz!

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Tales from the Blitz!
From: "David Cook" <>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:33:58 +1100
Rather than tackle some of the more "sexy" grids in the mountains, Kathy and I decided to cover all (or most) of the grids accessible from Cooper Road (Wamboin), Sutton Road and Kings Highway, these most likely being seldom, if ever, surveyed before. We ended up doing surveys in 7 grids (including Newline). Being mostly within Kowen Forest, we tried to do our surveys in patches of remnant Eucalypt Woodland, which were surprisingly more common than we'd expected. These patches, though relatively small, tend to be located on the steeper slopes within the pine plantations, however, most had suffered controlled burns (beware Foresters with matches!) so understorey tended to be sparse in most places which had the effect of reducing small bird numbers. Our tally overall was 58 species (32 in Newline).

Highlights (mostly from Newline): Rufous Songlark, which sat in front of me singing for minutes while I snapped away with the camera - I wish I'd had a tape recorder; Crested Shrike-tit quite close to the ground; White-winged Trillers; Brown Treecreepers; Jacky Winters; 4 cuckoos at various locations; several Dollarbirds; 1 Sacred Kingfisher; Olive-backed Orioles; Leaden Flycatchers.

David Cook