canberrabirds

White-bellied Sea Eagle at Lake Ginninderra

To: "chat line" <>
Subject: White-bellied Sea Eagle at Lake Ginninderra
From: "John Layton" <>
Date: Sun, 4 Sep 2005 21:36:00 +1000
We arrived at the Lake Ginninderra at 8:00 am today to go for a bike ride. As we unloaded the bikes from the ute, we noticed a White-bellied Sea Eagle squatting on the shore, right next to the water. The ducks, coots, etc were puddling around nonchalantly as if the big predator wasn't there. Perhaps they have some arcane way of sensing that Ole Eagle is not in hunting mode.

Five minutes later, the eagle took flight, climbed to a fair height and was set upon by a pair of Australian Ravens. A pair of Magpies joined the pursuit, and the ravens broke off the chase. However, the Magpies continued their harassment as the birds drew out of sight. We weren't toting binoculars because I find that it awkward riding a bicycle with binos dangling from my neck. I need a little bag on the handlebars for my binos.

Several years ago, we visited Namibia, just after they gained independence, and our hosts took us on a horse-riding, bird-watching trip around the ranch. We stopped for a picnic lunch, and I noticed Kurt was carrying a Colt .45 pistol in his saddlebag. "Are there lions around here?" I asked.

"No, but there are still a few bandits on the loose," he replied. Disappointingly, we didn't encounter any lions or bandits, but we saw many wonderful birds. Meanwhile, back at the ranch that evening, Kurt handed me his Colt and let me fire a clip of ammo. Ah, what a bangingly-good, bird-watching day!

John Layton