canberrabirds

Murramarang-Eurobodalla-Monga

Subject: Murramarang-Eurobodalla-Monga
From: "Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 22:38:53 +1000
Lisa and I spent an almost rain free day on the south coast. In Murramarang National Park the tame Wonga Pigeons were a highlight at Pebbly Beach. Tree Martins were among the swallows and Gang-gang Cockatoos high in the treetops. Between Mogo and Moruya we saw at least 1 Little Lorikeet, many Musk Lorikeets and off South Head a pod of some 20 Bottle-nosed Dolphins swam by. On the Moruya floodplain I counted at least 4 Pacific Herons.
At Moruya Heads itself were 2 White-headed Pigeons. They seem to be getting more and more common on the south coast. I think I see this species every visit to the coast now.
At Congo a pair of White-bellied Sea-eagles were busy fishing off shore, one chasing the other at one point. The resident Red-capped Plovers numbered 10. Both Sooty and Pied Oystercatcher were present and many Gannets further off shore. Other species here included Yellow Thornbill, Lewin's Honeyeater and 2 Jacky Winter. A Swamp Harrier flew over the headland just as we were leaving.
To top the day off we heard and later saw a Powerful Owl along River Forest Rd in Monga National Park around 8pm.

Cheers
Marnix

Single? Get more Dates online at Lavalife today ******************************************************************************************************* This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> List archive: List manager: David McDonald, phone (02) 6231 8904; email <>