canberrabirds

Crescent Honeyeaters Botanic Gardens

To: "Philip Veerman" <>
Subject: Crescent Honeyeaters Botanic Gardens
From: "shaun bagley" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 19:27:08 +1000
Hi all,

Philip and I have had some off-line dialogue about my comments about differences between resident honeyeaters. Philip gracefully accepted my observation while still being troubled by the size issue.

I agree that fledgelings are often puffed up, particularly when they sit on their haunches, so to speak.

On the other hand, I believe "size" is one of those relative things. As field guides express it, it is an _expression_ of length from bill to tail end, not of overall size.

So a Red Wattledbird is defined as 32-36 cms in Morecambe's guide whereas a Satin Bowerbird is defined as 28-34 cms. You tell me which one looks bigger?

Having seen Crescent Honeyeaters first in SA, in the Adelaide Hills (where they did not seem much bigger than the New Hollands I was used to in WA) through Tas, Vic and here in the ACT, my comment would be that they are bigger in body here.

As I said to Phil, there was a couple to whom I showed the CH honeyeater who remarked that it was much bigger than the NH and ES honeyeaters in the immediate vicinity. Now maybe that was an _expression_ of the volume of call, yet I think the untutored _expression_ is accurate at least for this bird.

And ultimately what I find fascinating is that Marmix recorded CHs in this location a while back and that they have been silent while breeding until I was lucky enough to find the male celebrating the succesful nesting (maybe?)

Now perhaps I'm getting too humanistic, but that was my take on the performance in front of me...

Regards

Shaun Bagley

P.S. Jack Holland kindly identified the CHs as "Shaun Bagley's" in a comment about Sunday's workshop. There is no ownership felt here. Understand where he was coming from but they are truly brilliant enough without any further description...