canberrabirds

AOC 2005 - Indigenous Ornithology symposium - DEADLINE 31 August

To: "Chris Dahlberg " <>, "John Bradley " <>, "Joe Benshemesh " <>, "Andy Pawley " <>, "Mark Ziembicki " <>, "Stephen Garnett " <>, "John Woinarski " <>, "Nic Gambold " <>, "Phil Wise" <>, "Ray Chatto " <>, "Steve Roeger " <>, "Glenn Wightman " <>, "Henrik Moller " <>, "Henrik Moller \(email2\)" <>, "David Watson " <>, "Sonia Tidemann - Batchelor" <>, "Rocky Sainty" <>, "Robert Hoogenraad " <>
Subject: AOC 2005 - Indigenous Ornithology symposium - DEADLINE 31 August
From: "Robert Gosford" <>
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 18:23:03 +1000

Dear all –

We note the AOC Deadline for Abstracts (and early-bird registration) is 31 August. Below is a copy of text previously distributed to those who have expressed interest in participation in the “Austral Indigenous Ornithology” symposium or ethnoornithology in general.

Contact Robert Gosford by return email if you are interested in participation or have any queries about the symposium. We have had a reasonable response to date and look forward to receiving those ‘last-minute’ abstracts and poster proposals prior to August 31.

Feel free to forward this email to those you think may be interested in participation.

Please forward all Abstracts and Poster proposals by return email. This will allow them to be collated prior to submission to the AOC 2005 organisers. Please make sure your Abstract meets the requirements (see link below) of the AOC 2005 organisers.

Thanks for your interest.

Robert Gosford & Sonia Tidemann

Austral Indigenous Ornithology co-organisers

Further to my previous emails of early May and July , please find attached the DRAFT text of the proposed “Austral Indigenous Ornithology Symposium” submission to go to the organisers of AOC 2005. The outline of this proposal has been developed in consultation with Sonia Tidemann, Glenn Wightman and others. Please feel free to make comments or suggestion that might improve the content of this submission or address any issues we have missed.

Please note the requirements for abstract submission as provided by the AOC organisers.

I have also sent this email to others who have previously expressed interest in this topic and may now want to submit an abstract or pass this on to someone who may be interest in this Symposium.

Birds Australia information on AOC 2005 and past conference abstracts are available at: http://www.birdsaustralia.com.au/aoc/index.html

The AOC 2005 conference website, with links to abstract requirements etc is at: http://www.osnz.org.nz/aocsymposia.htm

The symposium has been listed in the Scientific Programme as awaiting confirmation: http://www.osnz.org.nz/aocsciprog.htm

For some insights into recent NZ ethnoornithological research, information on the ‘Tïtï (sooty shearwater) collaborative research project studying Maori harvesting of this traditional resource is available at: http://www.otago.ac.nz/titi/default.html and the proceedings of an earlier (2000) conference (Hui) on kaitiakitanga (environmental management) of tïtï and other customary use of wildlife and plants are available at: http://www.otago.ac.nz/titi/hui/Main/default.htm

Please forward this email to anyone, particularly students and field researchers, that you think might be interested in this symposium, the AOC generally or may be interested in making a poster presentation.

Thank you again for your time and I look forward to the receipt of your queries, comments and suggestions where you feel it would be helpful.