canberrabirds

Yellow-tufted HE status.

To: "Philip Veerman" <>
Subject: Yellow-tufted HE status.
Date: Fri, 22 Jul 2005 10:18:21 +1000

Hi Philip,

I appologise to everyone who has grown weary of this subject but will conclude my part of this debate on the status of the Yellow-tufted Honeyeater (YTHE) with one final broadside...(and I guess to also show how subjective status can be)

Apart from the GBS Report stating the YTHE is "Uncommon" the following publications go even further.

The "Birds of the Australian Capital Territory: An Atlas" by McComas Taylor and COG (1992 Reprint) states that the YTHE is a "Rare winter visitor" and "...are rarely encountered in the ACT."

Then the "Field Guide to the Birds of the ACT" by McComas Taylor & Nicolas Day (1999) writes the species is to be expected in the ACT in winter and autumn and it shows a 'single binocular' icon for status - which the key states stands for "Very Rare. Expected once in one thousand visits or less."

And the final say may go to the definitive updated guide to the avifauna of the ACT COG's "Annotated Checklist of the Birds of the Australian Capital Territory" compiled by David McDonald (2003) and based on "Birds of the ACT: Two Centuries of Change" by Steve Wilson OAM (1999).
I have inserted the full description below:
619 Yellow-tufted Honeyeater Lichenostomus melanops Rare visitor, chiefly in the cooler months. Probably breeds not far away outside the ACT.

I rest my case...

Cheers
Marnix

"Philip Veerman" <>

20/07/2005 02:55 PM

<>
cc
<>
Subject
[canberrabirds] Yellow-tufted HE status.
  Classification

Hi Marnix,

Thank you for the publicity. I knew full well  what was in the GBS Report. I knew that it didn't say what you were quoting and  I know that this text about some birds occurring more often in outer areas  actually is in there for other species, so I was curious as to how those ideas  came together. I knew that the GBS Report described that the bird is "uncommon"  and in spite of clumsiness of all of these terms, that is ranking is consistent  with the whole point I was making, which is that it is not "rare". I was  lamenting that we don't have a word for something between "uncommon"  and "rare".  As for your further point that "The species in this list are ranked by No. of Records, and as we  all know this can be deceiving, as the same bird or group of birds can be  recorded many times." To  clarify this. One record is a species at a site on a year. One record is one  record whether it contains 52 observations of species presence (the maximum  possible number) or one observation of species presence (the minimum  possible number) and it is independent of abundance.  Really I should  have quoted the "A" value and given a level of greater detail, your comparisons  on this are quite correct. These birds, like a lot of honeyeaters when they are  in high densities, are very noisy and obvious but individual birds are much less  obvious. I have no doubt that they are often around us in small numbers passing  through and they just don't get noticed. I hope this is my last bit on  this.