canberrabirds

Yellow-tufted HE status.

To: <>
Subject: Yellow-tufted HE status.
From: "Philip Veerman" <>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 14:55:16 +1000
Hi Marnix,

Thank you for the publicity. I knew full well what was in the GBS Report. I knew that it didn't say what you were quoting and I know that this text about some birds occurring more often in outer areas actually is in there for other species, so I was curious as to how those ideas came together. I knew that the GBS Report described that the bird is "uncommon" and in spite of clumsiness of all of these terms, that is ranking is consistent with the whole point I was making, which is that it is not "rare". I was lamenting that we don't have a word for something between "uncommon" and "rare".  As for your further point that "The species in this list are ranked by No. of Records, and as we all know this can be deceiving, as the same bird or group of birds can be recorded many times." To clarify this. One record is a species at a site on a year. One record is one record whether it contains 52 observations of species presence (the maximum possible number) or one observation of species presence (the minimum possible number) and it is independent of abundance.  Really I should have quoted the "A" value and given a level of greater detail, your comparisons on this are quite correct. These birds, like a lot of honeyeaters when they are in high densities, are very noisy and obvious but individual birds are much less obvious. I have no doubt that they are often around us in small numbers passing through and they just don't get noticed. I hope this is my last bit on this.