canberrabirds

Yellow-tufted HE status.

To: "Philip Veerman" <>
Subject: Yellow-tufted HE status.
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 10:16:41 +1000

Philip,
Its taken a little time to reply to your email, but I had to go back and check my sources.

It so happens that I got my information from none other than your own "Canberra Birds: A Report on the First 21 Years of the Garden Bird Survey" by Philip A. Veerrman (2003).
I have inserted the full text on the Yellow-tufted Honeyeater (YTHE) from this publication below:

"Yellow-tufted Honeyeater Lichenostomus melanops
An UNCOMMON species with a seasonal pattern that is typical of most other honeyeaters, in that it is present mainly in winter. Taylor (1986) has already suggested it is an altitudinal migrant. There is no evidence to suggest changes in status. The big peak in 1982 is largely due to a group of one to seven birds for eight weeks at Site 5 and that in later years due mainly to Sites 246 & 267 in Queanbeyan and Site 258 with an observation of ten.
Graphs on page: 99, Rank: 111, A = 0.00323, F = 2.54%, W = 3.9, R = 0.190%, G = 1.70"

I might have slightly misread some of it about it being more common in semi-rural areas (eg. sites in Queanbeyan area), but its still obvious from the above that the YTHE is not a common bird as you stated.

If you compare the Abundance (A) of the YTHE (A = 0.00323) with the bird listed just above it in Appendix 1 of the report - Eastern Yellow Robin (A = 0.00545) and the bird just below it in the report -  Rufous Songlark (A = 0.00456), you can see the YTHE is not as common as you may think. The species in this list are ranked by No. of Records, and as we all know this can be deceiving, as the same bird or group of birds can be recorded many times.

It seems in the 21 years of the GBS it was recorded in only 15 of those years at 22 sites for a total of 32 records (some of which as stated above were for the same birds at the same site). Which means in that period there are 6 years with not a single record in Canberra/Queanbeyan, which in my estimation makes it an uncommon, if not a rare, bird in these here parts...

Cheers
Marnix

"Philip Veerman" <>

18/07/2005 01:55 PM

"Marnix Zwankhuizen" <>, "Peter Milburn" <>
cc
<>
Subject
[canberrabirds] Yellow-tufted HE status.
  Classification

Hi Marnix,

I was referring to the ACT and Queanbeyan, not the  whole of the COG area. I wonder where you "read that the majority of GBS records  nearly all come from rural or semi-rural areas such as Sutton Rd or Queanbeyan  and not actually within Canberra." Perhaps a recent ABR that I don't have  nearby. Below is the list of GBS records from the first  21 years (with actual observations deleted, as it makes the table too big). I  don't think this agrees with what you believe you read. I apologise for a  little error in my previous message. In writing "It has been recorded on most  years in the GBS", "most" should be "15" (out of the 21). I don't know  why I was so vague, it is in Appendix 1.

Dare I say I think Peter Milburn's comment about  "frequent, uncommon and occasional" is about an entirely different  thing. He writes about things related to how often a person observes a  species. That is about recording rate, which has any number of biases and  constraints. It is quite different from species abundance. Not that recording  rate is not useful for its own purposes but I think it is not at all close  to the phenomenon of whether a species is "common" or "rare", which is about  population density. (There is a reason why I called Figure 33 of the GBS  Report, that shows the link between the two as "Probably the most important  result of the GBS". We only observe and record the minutest fraction of the bird  fauna present in the whole area.

GBS table......

SUBURB

Observer

Observation Year