canberrabirds

spamming on COG line

Subject: spamming on COG line
From: David McDonald <>
Date: Mon, 16 May 2005 21:20:27 +1000 (EST)
Greetings. I maintain the CanberraBirds email list and
replied direct to Wendy when she raised this matter.

This is the position:
- anyone who uses email has to expect to receive spam
- the amount of spam distributed via this list is
small
- we have had almost none of it until the last couple
of weeks
- I have set both virus trapping and spam trapping to
'on' for this list and the vast majority of virus and
spam emails sent to it are blocked and not distributed
- spammers are becoming increasingly smarter and
anti-spam software suppliers struggle to keep up with
them - as a result a few are sliping through
- the same happens with BirdingAus
- I have received almost no spam from the
CanberraBirds list.  I was not aware there was a
problem until Wendy advised me last week. I then
checked our wonderful new list archive
http://bioacoustics.cse.unsw.edu.au/archives/html/canberrabirds/
and became aware of what had been distributed lately.
I have not received most of these spam emails as I use
an anti-spam service http://www.spamtrap.net.au/ and
encourage others to use this or a similar facility -
spam is a reality and, in my view, all email users
should have in place both an anti-spam and an
anti-virus strategy
- I suggest that we all have to get used to deleting
from the subject line the occasional spam message that
finds its way onto our list

I really cannot think of anything else to do or
suggest.

David McDonald
List Manager

http://au.movies.yahoo.com