canberrabirds

winter is close

Subject: winter is close
From: wendy <>
Date: Sun, 13 Mar 2005 18:00:26 +1100
Hi David - thanks for coming to my defence but I wasn't really offended - I replied privately to Philip that I thought it wasn't a good idea to get into another discussion about terminology when everyone was having so much fun with the other one!

thanks so much for your extensive reporting on the orioles. I haven't seen him but the call is very distinctive and one I'm familiar with. didn't hear him today. next time I'm in Canberra will try to find the reports of the studies in this area you refer to - are they likely to be in the COG rooms library (is there such a thing?)

the other exciting occurrence (I think and hope) this morning is that there was a strange parrot call coming from the high side of the Alpine Way (just over the road from my back door) this morning - it wasn't a Crimson Rosella or even a youngster learning and not quite getting it right. I've been told that since the fires down here there have been lyrebirds up there and am wondering if that's what it was, although from the Tidbinbilla Lyrebird CD they seem to get the mimicry a lot better than that. will go up and have a look soon if I keep hearing it (this was the second day in a row)

re the young Crimsons down here, they are much greener than I've ever seen them in Canberra - not sure if they are just being brought to the feeder younger or if it's a slight difference in their colouring. there are now two families of four young ones each skylarking about the snowgums around the balcony and trying to land on the bar in the sliding glass door as they haven't learnt about glass yet

cheers, Wendy

This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> To contact David McDonald, list manager, phone (02) 6231 8904 or email <>.