canberrabirds

Cuumbeun Nature Reserve

To: "Andrea S Holland" <>
Subject: Cuumbeun Nature Reserve
From: "David Cook" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2005 10:48:17 +1100
Jack

In terms of size alone, I think the area is big enough to warrant a whole morning - 928ha compares with Mulligan's and Gooroo - but we haven't walked the entire area so I can't comment on the diversity or quality of vegetation elsewhere. Certainly the short walk we did was pretty interesting, but it was really only a recce for a longer visit. We thought there was sufficient understorey for a Spring visit looking for nesting LBJs, or even a night spotlight since there were numerous hollows, and one assumes at least 4 Sthn Boobooks present. I expect there are lots of arboreal nocturnal animals there, as well as Owlet-Nightjars and maybe other nocturnal birds as well.

We parked at the gate on the Kings Hwy just near the entrance to Weetalabah, but afterwards drove down the Captain's Flat Rd and found 3 more entrances on that same side, but didn't realise it was also on the right side of the road too so there may be more entrance gates there too. We didn't see the type of builders' refuse dumping that Geoffrey Dabb has described, so maybe those other areas might be dodgy.

We'll do a longer walk in a few weeks and report back to you.

Cheers, David