canberrabirds

Cuumbeun Nature Reserve

To: "Canberra Birds" <>
Subject: Cuumbeun Nature Reserve
From: "David Cook" <>
Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2005 23:40:35 +1100
Kathy  and I visited Cuumbeun Nature Reserve today (Sunday 6/2/05), located adjacent to the Kings Highway near Queanbeyan, straddling the Captain's Flat Rd. This reserve of 928ha was dedicated in 2001, and although we have driven past it many times it was our first stop there. We weren't disappointed.

Even though we were there around midday, there were quite a few birds present, including several White-throated Treecreepers, Striated and Spotted Pardalotes, Striated Thornbills, Grey Fantails, a Black-faced Cuckoo-Shrike, and more of the usual bushbird suspects.

The highlight, however, was seeing 2 juvenile Southern Boobooks out in the open and wide awake. One was flying around, no doubt disturbed by our presence and very watchful of us. They were otherwise unpestered by any other birds which typically mob boobooks in daylight. As is normally the case when we see something really good, I didn't have my camera with me.

There are many large trees in the reserve, good understorey in places, and plenty of hollows. It may be a good candidate for a future COG outing.

David Cook