canberrabirds

Currawongs

To: "martin butterfield" <>, "canberrabirds" <>
Subject: Currawongs
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Fri, 24 Dec 2004 23:12:44 +1100
I wonder, where is "GBS Central"? Am I missing something? I had not thought of that as a location.

I have had one pair of Pied Currawongs have a nest in the big tree in my yard during September. The young disappeared whilst I was away for two weeks attending the BA congress in Qld. There was no sign of them when I returned. As they usually hang around for at least several weeks after fledging and they weren't close to fledging before I went away, I'm pretty sure that the young perished but I don't know how. The adults quickly built another nest nearby in the same tree and had hatched young by the start of December. I went away for a family visit to Melbourne three weeks ago and there was no sign of either the chicks or nest on my return. These were only young chicks so nil possibility of a successful fledging there. Since then the Currawongs don't defend the tree and the Noisy Friarbirds have moved in. I'm not sure which I dislike more.  I would like to think they fed a passing Square-tailed Kite but I'd need a lot more evidence of that than wishful thinking. I suppose that Pied Currawongs may be cannibals if the opportunity arises or predation by ravens or goshawks is also possible. There is obviously at least one other successful Currawong nesting nearby as I saw a dy in the park yesterday.

As for the name, my brother (trying to test my bird name skills) asked me what do Currawongs eat at the football? thinking that Pied relates in some way to "pies".