canberrabirds

Currawongs

Subject: Currawongs
From: Muriel Brookield <>
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 12:39:52 +1100
Unfortunately here in Cook the local pair of Currawongs have 3-4 young each year. The first fledgling came out much sooner than the two laggards this year, and was looked after by one parent. The other two are now out and in the area, but seem to be fed by one parent only. Whereas the local magpies were feeding young with wild strawberries, I expect the PCs to go for my blueberries as they did last year.

The two parents are well established here, and there is a total absence of small birds passing through in the breeding season. Both tawny frogmouths and red wattlebirds have been prevented from breeding here over the years. But the two belligerent birds look after each other well at nesting time - 'he' brings food to 'her' on the nest, and they have quiet domestic 'talk' quite unlike the clangor that we are normally more familiar with.

Muriel

This is the email announcement and discussion list of the Canberra Ornithologists Group. List-Post: <> List-Help: <> List-Unsubscribe: <> List-Subscribe: <> To contact David McDonald, list manager, phone (02) 6231 8904 or email <>.