birding-aus

Scrubwrens

To: "'Jeff Davies'" <>, "'Martin Cake'" <>, "'Graeme Chapman'" <>
Subject: Scrubwrens
From: "Stephen Ambrose" <>
Date: Sat, 26 May 2018 15:50:56 +1000
Hi All,

I've had limited access to the internet over the last three weeks, so I'm
just catching up on the responses to the scrubwren discussion from across
that period.

While I accept that eye colour in scrubwrens is probably influenced by the
age of the individual, I still think there could also be an environmental
component to it.  There's been a lot of research in humans that correlate an
individual's health with eye colour.  In earlier emails, I've suggested that
blue/plain eyes in individual scrubwrens may be related to their
physiological condition which, in turn, may be related to environmental
conditions to which they are subjected (e.g. salt-loading of their diet,
dietary deficiencies, reflectivity of light).  In doing so, I hypothesized a
possible hormonal mechanism for blue/plain eye colour.  Therefore, if there
is a variation in eye colour within a single population, then that may
reflect different age groups (as promoted by Jeff), but it may also reflect
differences in exposure to environmental conditions experienced by
individuals.  For instance, some individuals within a coastal population may
be consuming a saltier diet than others within that population, depending on
the location of their home ranges in relation to salt deposition across the
landscape or individual variation in access to food.  In other words,
blue/plain eyes could denote individuals that are experiencing more
physiological stress (i.e. less healthy scrubwrens) based on their degree of
exposure to local environmental conditions.  This may explain to some extent
why some scrubwrens east of Adelaide and on Kangaroo Island have blue/plain
eyes.  If the eye colour of adult Spotted Scrubwrens in the wet forests of
the South-west are predominantly yellow or buff, and those found in coastal
dunes are predominantly blue/plain, then I would argue that would reflect
differences in environmental conditions (as well as habitats) to which the
two sets of populations are exposed.

Cheers,
Stephen

Stephen Ambrose