birding-aus

FW: Scrubwrens

To: "'Francis Crome'" <>, <>
Subject: FW: Scrubwrens
From: "Jeff Davies" <>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2018 13:53:31 +1000
G'day Francis, I take your point.

that's why we always try to go for big sample sizes, bigger the better.
Personally I prefer a photo taken from a high dynamic range camera shot in RAW
and viewed on a fully calibrated monitor.
But when photos come in from various people all using different cameras in
different light and differing software, but all giving a same visual
impression, I tend to think we can believe that impression.

Museum collections are the backbone of what we have to work with today and will
continue to be, that's a given.
But I honestly believe digital photography is now so good and employed by so
many people, it is going to usher in a whole new renaissance of our
understanding of the visual appearance of live birds.
The only thing missing is an organized scientific approach to utilize what will
ultimately become a massive resource greater in size than all museum
collections combined.
But you can't take biometrics off a photo, or not yet anyway, and you can't
take a DNA samp0le from a photo either.

Cheers Jeff.