birding-aus

Alice Springs Sewage Ponds access situation 2015

To: 'Mark Carter' <>, "" <>
Subject: Alice Springs Sewage Ponds access situation 2015
From: Tony Russell <>
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 2015 03:19:33 +0000
I'd like to add a bit to Mark's message, just as warning of possible
exclusion from wetland areas.

There is no access to any poo ponds in South OZ at all, they are all very
fenced off.

Penrice saltfield has gone through a series of exclusions over the last few
years and now has very stringent access rules which include safety clothing
such as high visibility jackets, safety glasses, metal toecaps on boots,
long trousers and long sleeved jackets, as well as having to have currently
valid induction status.

The Price Saltfield on Yorke Peninsula also had the same set of rules before
it was closed a couple of years ago because of careless birders needing to
have their vehicles rescued by saltworks staff.  No access at all now.

Although these are brilliant birding areas, many birders now just can't be
bothered complying so don't visit - this of course being the saltworks
management's intent in the first place.  They don't want us in there !!

Tony.