birding-aus

Alice Springs Sewage Ponds access situation 2015

To: "" <>
Subject: Alice Springs Sewage Ponds access situation 2015
From: Mark Carter <>
Date: Tue, 9 Jun 2015 23:49:04 +0000
Hi all,
Just a quick note to remind anyone planning to bird at the Alice Springs Sewage
Ponds that the site is first and foremost an industrial workplace and that our
access is a privilege, not a foregone conclusion. Our continued access to the
site is conditional on our following the rules which are spelled out in the
induction process. There have been some incidents recently where birders have
flagrantly broken the rules and this has come to the attention of Ponds staff,
and its not uncommon for correspondence they receive from birders to be "less
than polite". Please remember, when birding at the site you are representing
birders as a whole, breaking the site's rules puts everyone's future access in
serious jeopardy. You are a guest when birding at the sewage ponds- please
behave accordingly. There could be changes to access conditions coming in the
near future which we may find restrictive- if this comes to be I ask everyone
to accept it with good grace (regardless of personal opinions).

There have been difficulties with the personal induction process which are
being worked on, please be patient. Importantly, do not ask to use anyone
else's key if you have not completed the induction- that is a serious 'no no'
and results in the donating keyholder losing their access privileges entirely.
An alternative is to attend one of the organised events run periodically by
BirdLife Central Australia or Alice Springs Field Naturalists. Another is to
contact me- I have an arrangement with the Ponds administration allowing me to
deliver an on-site induction and provide guided access to the ponds for a fee.

The Alice Springs Sewage Ponds is one of the finest in the country and is top
of every list for birding sites in Central Australia. Its everyone's
responsibility to safeguard our access for the future, and the simplest way to
do this is to simply obey the rules and 'be nice'!

Regards

Mark Carter

Birding and Wildlife.com
T ++61 (0) 447358045