birding-aus

Advertising

Subject: Advertising
From: Frank O'Connor <>
Date: Sat, 16 May 2015 18:48:03 +0800

A tricky subject where it certainly has the potential to go too far, but this point is difficult to specify. I think that birding-aus people will let them know if they go too far, and I think that Russell monitors this very well.

From a personal point of view, I have been happy to read about forthcoming tours to Ashmore Reef, Torres Strait Islands, etc. These tend to be either one off tours, or they are tours that while they are commercial don't make the operator a profit (my understanding is that George Swann basically gets a free trip to Ashmore). And I am certainly happy to read the trip reports after the tours, while people could argue that this is a back door way of advertising.

The pelagic trips are advertised, but I don't think anyone could argue with that? Someone is making money on the trip, but generally the trips are run at cost and are of interest to many members of birding-aus.

I think the guys in Alice Springs have shown suitable restraint by reporting sightings they have seen. I wouldn't have known there were commercial operators in Alice. I might not make use of them, but if overseas people contact me then I am happy to let them know that there is someone with excellent local knowledge who can show them around.

Similarly I have been happy in the past with reports by Denise Goodfellow for the NT, or Kingfisher Park in Far North Queensland, or tours to Cocos and Christmas Islands, etc.

I know that I would be interested if someone was organising a tour to say Neale Junction in WA to look for Scarlet-chested Parrot, Striated (Sandhill) Grasswren, etc. Or maybe a tour to NSW or Qld to look for Striated (Rusty) Grasswren.

At BirdLife Western Australia we face some dilemmas with our eNews. We include reports of a lake being full this year, which is useful for people thinking of visiting that area, but it is clear that this benefits the station as people will be paying to stay there. Or reports of Ground Cuckoo-shrike will benefit the person whose property they are on, as people will probably need to stay there.