birding-aus

Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline New South Wales Weekly Update
Date: 14 Oct 2014 15:20:09 +1000
   Birdline New South Wales

   Published sightings for the week ending 13 Oct 2014.

   Tue 14 Oct White-throated Needletail Lower Pappinbarra
   80 WTNT, 2 Wedge-tailed Eagles, and 2 White-bellied Sea-Eagles seen
   flying over.
   Ian Kerr
   Common Cicadabird Caniaba, Lismore NSW
   Common Cicadabird (female). First sighting for season.
   paul griffin
   Grey Plover Lake Tabourie entrance, 12km south Ulladulla
   A single Grey Plover was seen morning at 10-30am, just before a huge
   storm passed through, and has been hanging around for 4-5 days now. In
   attendance were Black-tailed Godwits, Red-necked Stints, 2 Hooded
   Plovers and Red-capped Plovers. All very approachable this morning
   before moving off.
   Bob Rusk
   Mon 13 Oct Pacific Baza, Eastern (Australian) Koel, Dollarbird
   Anchorage Holiday Park, Iluka
   Adult pair of Pacific Bazas constructing nest in Flooded Gum Eucalyptus
   grandis (photo of nest attached), Eastern Koel heard calling and 2
   Dollarbirds were seen and heard (also record on previous 2 days).
   Greg Clancy & Birdlife Northern NSW campers
   Horsfield's Bushlark Turners Road, Woodberry
   A male displaying. Great views, within 3 metres. Nice to see them so
   close to the coast.
   Grant Brosie
   White-throated Needletail East Maitland
   Single bird flying south
   Grant Brosie
   Common Cicadabird Lower Pappinbarra
   First Common Cicadabird for the season here today. Wompoo Fruit-doves,
   Regent Bowerbirds and Scarlet Honeyeaters are getting into the
   flowering Silky Oaks.
   Ian Kerr
   White-throated Needletail Caniaba, Lismore NSW
   First sighting for season. About 15 WTNT gliding from north to south
   over a range just above tree level, riding a light 15 km/h northerley.
   As they passed onto the coastal plain they grouped and circled for a
   few minutes, taking advantage of a thermal, then peeled off and
   continued south.
   paul griffin
   Double-barred Finch Denneys Lane north of Goulburn
   One lone individual occasionally mixing with Red-browed Finches. Flocks
   of Double-barred Finches are fewer and sparser here than previously. It
   is becoming more common to see pairs or small groups. Unfortunate
   perhaps to see lone individuals of this gregarious species. Sparsely
   sighted in wild here.
   Rodney Falconer
   Sun 12 Oct Australian Brush-Turkey Leura Cascades
   Male Australian Brush-Turkey seen for several minutes foraging along
   the stream near the upper cascade.
   Chris Chafer
   Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove, Tawny-crowned Honeyeater Red Cliff, Yuraygir
   National Park
   One Rose-crowned Fruit-Dove flushed from tree and landed in Coast
   Banksia, attacked and chased off by Little Wattlebird before photos
   could be taken. Had probably been feeding in Tuckeroo nearby which was
   fruiting profusely. 3+ Tawny-crowned Honeyeaters feeding in Coast
   Banksia. Usually found in low heath in local area.
   Greg Clancy & Birdlife Northern NSW campers
   Australian Hobby, White-bellied Sea-Eagle, Wedge-tailed Eagle Brooms
   Head Road, Taloumbi
   Pair of Australian Hobbies nesting in tall Large-leaved Spotted Gum
   Corymbia henryi, one bird (? female) perched on rim of nest uttering
   begging call, second bird (? male) flew in and landed on dead branch of
   nest tree. Immature White-bellied Sea-Eagle perched in dead tree and
   adult Wedge-tailed Eagle in flight over site.
   Greg Clancy & Birdlife Northern NSW campers
   Black-bellied Storm-petrel, Wandering Albatross Pelagic off Port
   Stephens
   A Black-bellied Storm-petrel was the highlight for yesterday's pelagic
   off Port Stephens, which unfortunately was only seen by a few on board.
   Seeing 5 Wandering Albatross was another highlight on a rather unusual
   (and very windy) day where barely a single bird came in to our berley
   at the shelf, including Wedge-tailed Shearwaters which appeared to also
   be migrating (with flocks of Short-taileds). Another highlight was
   having a Providence Petrel appear in the wake of the boat with
   inshore-feeding shearwaters about 7 miles from the heads from where it
   followed us to about 500m off the rocks before peeling off!
   Mick Roderick and all on board the M.V.Argonaut
   Albert's Lyrebird, Paradise Riflebird, Wompoo Fruit-dove Protesters
   Falls, Nightcap NP
   Good but brief views of female Albert's Lyrebird as it walked across
   road at protesters and scratched around. Paradise Riflebird adult male
   displayed well for over ten minutes jumping from branch to branch and
   probing palms and bark upside down at times, within 6-8 meters of us.
   Uncoloured bird sighted later near same spot as coloured male. Wompoo
   Fruit-doves calling and seen well, Pale Yellow Robin and Spectacled
   Monarch also sighted.
   Tom Petty
   Sat 11 Oct Brush Cuckoo, Black-fronted Dotterel, Forest Kingfisher,
   Sacred Kingfisher James Creek Road, Harwood
   Brush Cuckoo heard calling (observer's first for season), Black-fronted
   Dotterel at wetland and two Forest Kingfishers in trees, one chasing
   Sacred Kingfisher.
   Greg Clancy & Birdlife Northern NSW campers
   Eastern Grass-Owl Harwood Bridge, Clarence River
   Road killed Eastern Grass-Owl on road edge on bridge. ID confirmed by
   Stephen Debus.
   Stephen Debus, Greg Clancy & Birdlife Northern NSW campers
   Beach Stone-curlew, Mangrove Honeyeater Iluka Bay, Iluka
   Two adult Beach Stone-curlews on beach. One Mangrove Honeyeater heard
   calling.
   Greg Clancy & Birdlife Northern NSW campers
   Mangrove Honeyeater, Beach Stone-Curlew, Pied Oystercatcher Dart
   Island, Clarence Estuary
   2+ Mangrove Honeyeaters heard calling, adult Beach Stone-curlew on
   sand, adult pair of Pied Oystercatchers mating on sand near shoreline.
   Greg Clancy & Birdlife Northern NSW campers
   Powerful Owl N of Johnsons Lane, Iluka
   Powerful Owl heard calling at night.
   Greg & Val Clancy
   Red-necked Avocet, Eastern Osprey, Caspian Tern Wooloweyah Lagoon,
   Clarence Estuary
   c.100 Red-necked Avocets roosting on sand bar in Lagoon, 5+ Eastern
   Osprey hunting and interacting over lagoon. 1 Caspian Tern in flight.
   Greg Clancy & Birdlife Northern NSW campers
   Fri 10 Oct Common Cicadabird Anchorage Holiday Park, Iluka
   Common Cicadabird heard calling. Observers first record for the season.
   Greg Clancy & Birdlife Northern NSW campers
   White-eared Monach Iluka
   Pair of birds sighted well within the first ten minutes of arrival.
   Spectacled Monarch seen, but was only there for 30 minutes.
   Tom Petty
   Sun 5 Oct Rawnsley's Bowerbird Kalang NSW
   I spotted this bird perched on my outdoor furniture at the front of my
   house in Kalang NSW 5th October 2014. By the time I got my camera it
   had gone to a nearby tree where I took the photo. It then flew away.
   Although I could not get a decent photograph of the undersides of its
   wings, I did notice that they were a brighter yellow than what can be
   seen on the outer wings in the photograph, I would say that it is a
   little more like the colour of the Regent Bowerbird. I frequently see
   the Satin Bowerbird, and sometimes see the Regent Bowerbird on my
   property, but I have never come across one of these before. From what I
   have learned this is a very rare bird, and I consider it to be a very
   exciting find. [Moderator's note on 'Rawnsley's Bowerbird' (NH;
   'stolen' from Lloyd Nielsen's comment on this bird to Birding-Aus):
   "The original bird was collected near Brisbane on 14 July, 1867 by
   Henry Rawnsley. A second bird was seen and photographed at Beachmont
   (near Binna Burra) south of Brisbane during 2003 & 2004. Cliff Frith
   and Daniel Blunt have a good article in Australian Field Ornithology -
   22:2:53 on Rawnsley's Bowerbird. It is presumed that Rawnsleys
   Bowerbird is a hybrid between Satin and Regent which has to be the
   case. However, it is interesting that all three birds seem to be
   similarly marked with yellow generally confined to the primaries."]
   Carol Seidl
<HR>
<BR> Birding-Aus mailing list
<BR>