birding-aus

Lady Elliot Island

To: <>
Subject: Lady Elliot Island
From: "Gary Kane" <>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 21:10:26 +1000
Just returned from 7 days on Lady Elliot Island, 2 March to 9 March.
Wonderful bird life. Sorry Malcolm, but a pair of red-tailed tropic birds
arrived on 2 March and are now nesting outside Suite 2. The black-naped
terns are still there, nesting above the beach to the north of the resort.
In addition to your list, I also saw sand plovers, which I am pretty sure
were the greater. The pacific golden plovers were everywhere and appeared to
be developing breeding plumage. The frigate birds were awesome and there
were lesser as well as greater. The turtles are still laying and hatching.
We also went on a snorkel tour and swam with 12 manta rays two days ago!
Fabulous place.

Regards. Gary.

Gary Kane

Message: 2