birding-aus

Osprey Stacks in Urban Environments

To: "" <>
Subject: Osprey Stacks in Urban Environments
From: Sean Brealey <>
Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 19:58:16 +0800
Greetings All,

I am seeking support, and hopefully endorsement, from Birds Australia and Birds
WA, in the medium to long term, re a proposal of encouraging Osprey Stacks in
Perth urban environments.

Osprey stacks are well established at Cathedral Rocks, Parker Point, Fish Hook
Bay (Rottnest) and Edward Island (Lancelin) and also at Mindarie and Mandurah.
They are also established in the Swan and elsewhere where conditions suit. I am
sure this group/s would know many more. I have noticed successful clutches this
year.

The North Beach reef zone has been 'no take' for years now. The reef ecology
there is heaving and juvenile Osprey have been working the area and scoping.

This concept is embryonic, but it would involve the architectural design of
suitable installations, structural engineering and the integration of go pro
technology to bring schools into the frame. It would also need financing and
support from Governments Local and State, and perhaps private enterprise.
Placement of installations could vary according to suitability of conditions.

Successful installation and Osprey habitation would restore the Osprey back
into places where it belongs, such as the North Beach coastal environment, and
places along the Swan. Osprey are territorial and indicate the health of the
total environment, just like the Black Shouldered Kites above the dunes, which
have also been successfully rehabilitated over thirty years. Basically, the
developed urban environment has not suited the Osprey, but perhaps now we can
encourage them back to areas where they belong.

I have been communicating with a few key people about the concept and it is
obvious that there would need to be significant consultation with a range of
stakeholders and obviously, the opinion and wisdom of groups such as Birds
Australia and Birds WA is valued (and critical) on a number of levels.

Can the group please indicate what the process is/ should be..to discuss and
advance the concept. Not quite sure on how to get the ball rolling with Birds
WA, but I assume we have meetings and focus groups for various initiatives (not
assuming that BA support or agree or are interested)..meanwhile, any comments,
observations or opinions would be most welcome..to date, my participation has
really only been through this email group...

Sean
0439090086