birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 25 Nov 2013 03:02:05 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 24 Nov 2013.

Sun 24 Nov Red-necked Avocet Amata Waste Water Treatment Plant
Morning observations - rain late in week and weekend with afternoon/evening storms occurring. Red-necked Avocet (6) One bird with flag & band - Right tibia : Yellow 'CP' flag - Left tibia : yellow/gold metal ring
David Hartland

Sat 23 Nov Ruff Greenfields Wetlands, Dry Creek
Ruff (1) Still present
Ian Reid

Tue 19 Nov Freckled Duck, Red-necked Avocet Amata Waste Water Treatment Plant
Quick visit to photograph Freckled Duck but storm hit within 5 minutes of being on site and sent us packing. Terrible photo due to weather and wild wind. Freckled Duck (1) Single bird present in deep evaporation pond. No hint of colour to base of bill. Red-necked Avocet (1) First record for this site. Landed as a friend and I approached to photograph Freckled Duck - great timing!
David Hartland

Wed 13 Nov Little Crow Port Lincoln township
I thought I heard a Little Crow in the afternoon of 12th Nov., I was actually pretty confident of it! On the 13th in the southern part of greater Port Lincoln I heard a Little Crow again & chased it up & got photos. Heard the short uk uk call, raised the wings and dipped the tail as it called. Also noted the very short rounded feathers, which formed a short mound on the throat not very long like in the Australian or longish as in Little Raven. Also skinny tarsus & short bill noted. After totally missing this species in dryer parts, such as the Gawler Ranges, it was a total surprise to find this species here.
Kevin Bartram

Sun 10 Nov Black Honeyeater, Pied Honeyeater Arid Lands Botanic Gardens, Port Augusta
At least 10 Black Honeyeaters (m, f & imm) have been present since early October. Today there were also good numbers of Pied Honeyeaters.
Peter Waanders

Fri 1 Nov Crested Shrike-tit Paiwalla Wetland
a pair of Crested Shrike-tits collecting nesting material in the Redgum trees near the camp site
Peter Waanders

Latham's Snipe, Freckled Duck Laratinga Wetlands, Mount Barker
1 Latham's Snipe seen twice from the track between the 1st and 2nd pond. Also 6 Freckled Duck present
Peter Waanders

Birdline South Australia is hosted by Eremaea Birds.