birding-aus

Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline Tasmania Weekly Update
Date: 25 Nov 2013 03:02:11 +1000

Birdline Tasmania

Published sightings for the week ending 24 Nov 2013.

Wed 20 Nov Chinstrap Penguin Sandy Bay, Macquarie Island
Single adult bird seen numerous times over the course of the day by those on board the Heritage Expedition "Birding Down Under". Photos and BARC submission to follow.
Joshua Bergmark, Rob Morris, et al

Tue 19 Nov Calyptorhynchus funereus (leucistic) Cethana Village
Leucistic Yellow-tailed Black Cockatoo, 650 metres west of Cethana Village.
Phillip Kemp

Sat 16 Nov Sanderling Eddystone Point, Mount William National Park
Around 140 birds, including one in full breeding plumage. Learned from local guru, Liz Znidersic, that this flock has been returning to this site for a few years with presumably the same bird in reverse breeding plumage each time.
Paul Brooks

Sat 16 Nov Banded Lapwing (47) Swansea
A tight group in a padddock on the northern edge of town. A few juveniles present.
Paul Brooks

Latham's Snipe Goulds Lagoon
One bird seen. Flushed from northern section of lagoon. A few Freckled Ducks still there, also many Hardheads. Didn't see any Pink-eared Ducks.
Lachie Clark

Tue 5 Nov Common Myna Currie, King Island
In reply to a posting on Eremaea regarding the sighting of a single Common Myna near the township of Currie, King Island by Martin Cachard and Simon Mustoe on the 09/02/13 I would like to add that I saw a single of this species near the Currie post office on the 05/11/13. The bird was feeding in the gutter outside the building about 3.30pm (DST) on the day. In the same submission referred to above Flesh-footed Shearwaters were reported on the 08-09/02/13. I would also like to add that I found a beach-washed specimen of this species on Porky Beach, King Island on the 09/11/13. The specimen was in good condition externally but in a fairly advanced state of putrification; dead about three or four days perhaps? It was among a number of recently dead Short-tailed Shearwaters.
Rod Hobson

Birdline Tasmania is hosted by Eremaea Birds.