birding-aus

Birdline South Australia Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline South Australia Weekly Update
Date: 11 Nov 2013 03:02:02 +1000

Birdline South Australia

Published sightings for the week ending 10 Nov 2013.

Sun 10 Nov Ruff Greenfields Wetlands, Dry Creek
Water level lower than a week ago. Breezy. Ruff (1) Male (size cf adjacent Red-kneed Dotterel), First immature non-breeding, I think (green-yellow legs; fairly distinct brownish crown). Seen and photographed in two areas of main pond (probably the same bird).
James Harrison

Sun 10 Nov Oriental Plover 26 00S 131 10E 10' Cell
Oriental Plover (4) 4 birds observed in low stubble on margins of airstrip. Restricted access - permission via ESO of Amata Community.
David Hartland

Thu 7 Nov Wood Sandpiper Amata Waste Water Treatment Plant
Wood Sandpiper (2) Recent arrivals, sticking together and taking flight in unison when spooked.
David Hartland

Sun 3 Nov Curlew Sandpiper Greenfields Wetlands, Dry Creek
Sunny and mild. Unusually many people around. Curlew Sandpiper (2) At W side, a bit S from the hide. First I've seen here. Good view & ok photos.
James Harrison

Sun 3 Nov Rock Dove Amata Waste Water Treatment Plant
Morning observations - 0700-0800 hrs. Clear, warm and sunny expected top of 39 degrees. Rock Dove (1) Odd sighting that caused me some excitement. Have never seen a Feral Pigeon on the APY Lands before. This specimen was huge and healtrhy, will make a nice dinner for one of our many local raptors! Note red/yellow rings on legs. A lost racing pigeon?
David Hartland

Sat 2 Nov Common Greenshank Amata Waste Water Treatment Plant
Dusk visit (approx. 1830-1930) to crack i.d. on what I had originally passed off as a Whiskered Tern. Common Greenshank (1) Familiar 'tew-tew' call alerted me to its presence as I pulled up in car. Not seen earlier in the day - perhaps arrived throughout the day sometime?
David Hartland

Birdline South Australia is hosted by Eremaea Birds.