birding-aus

Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update

Subject: Birdline North Queensland Weekly Update
Date: 22 Jul 2013 08:38:53 +1000

Birdline North Queensland

Published sightings for the week ending 21 Jul 2013.

Sat 20 Jul Common Redshank Cairns Esplanade
Single bird sighted busily feeding among godwits and whimbrels on the falling tide. The bird I saw was very similar to a Common Greenshank in its looks and behavior but it had bright red legs with a slight orange tinge. Have been a birdwatcher for 50 + years and have seen quiet a few Common Greenshank but never one with such pretty red legs. (Moderator Note:- Under Review).
Ben Weston

Australasian Shoveler Mungalla Station (Forrest Beach, Queensland)
Pair Australasian Shoveler (Anas rhynchotis) seen at long distance on lower wetlands this moorning. (Birds reported several weeks ago by Townsville Birdlifers). Poor pic
Tony Ashton

Fri 19 Jul Brown Songlark Mungalla Station (Forrest Beach, Queensland)
Immature Brown Songlark (Cincloramphus cruralis) making series of low flights in rough grazing land near creekside track in this morning's drizzle. First sighting this species by me in Mungalla.
Tony Ashton

Thu 18 Jul Freckled Duck, Pink-eared Duck Townsville Town Common Conservation Park
Freckled Duck (2) and Pink-eared Duck (2) seen among the numerous Pacific Black Duck and Grey Teal on the ponds to north of Tower Hide (now known as the Payets Tower); at scoping distance and too far for a photo.
Niel Bruce

Mon 15 Jul Emerald Dove Ross River Bush Gardens
Short mid-afternoon walk through part of the track. Weather fine/ partly cloudy Emerald Dove (1) walking along track; I drew the attention of man walking his dog to it and he held back; we watched it for several minutes before it flew up. One of only a few sites around Townsville where the Emerald Dove is recorded .
Alexandra Canton

Mon 15 Jul Lesser Frigatebird Palm Cove
One bird, female, seen flying south over beach at Palm Cove, 25 km north of Cairns.
Mick Brasher

Restless Flycatcher Mungalla Station (Forrest Beach, Queensland)
Restless Flycatcher near old stockyards this morning. Stiff wind. Bird seen and heard first on sicklepod, then into trees and on fencing. My first sighting of species in Ingham area for more than six years (though reported at Mungalla recently by Townsville Birdlifers).
Tony Ashton

Mon 1 Jul Laughing Gull Cairns Esplanade
Good sighting of bird roosting with a flock of about 20 Silver Gull. The gull was of a similar size and colour as the silver gulls it sat with except it was a little darker on the wings. There was a definite grey smudge on the nape and a slight mark over the eye. When I tried to get a bit closer all the gulls stood up and I saw it had very dark reddish legs. At this point there were several adult silver gulls that started harassing it and eventually they drove it off. (Moderator Note:- Under Review).
Ben Weston.

Birdline North Queensland is sponsored by BirdLife Northern Queensland and BirdLife Townsville and hosted by Eremaea Birds.