birding-aus

Threatened species and the OBP

To: "Peter Shute" <>, "'Simon Mustoe'" <>, <>, <>
Subject: Threatened species and the OBP
From: "Greg and Val Clancy" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 16:24:22 +1100
I think that this issue is larger than just laying the blame on those who are doing their best to care for our biodiversity, be it government departments or non-profit organisations. If they are failing it is not because of their lack of commitment. It is because despite all of the good that they are doing, and there are numerous examples of where people are working hard to research and protect our biodiversity, the impact of overpopulation and excessive consumption is so all encompassing that it undermines much of this great work. I don't believe that the problem has been caused by people being 'locked out' of natural areas and I think that a comparison with the UK is not productive due to the cultural, historical and natural differences between the two countries. The restrictions on accessing areas with threatened species and keeping native animals as pets is as a result of overpopulation and historical loss of habitat. When I was a kid I had Green and Golden Bell Frogs, Bearded Dragons and Bluetongues as pets. This may have helped to increase my love of nature but I also learnt that it was best for these animals to remain in the wild. People wanting to have hands on access to wildlife can become a wildlife carer or assist with bird banding or other fauna survey projects. The NSW National Parks Association has held community wildlife surveys giving non-scientists a chance to get up close and personal with our wildlife. It would be good to increase the general community's interaction with nature but not at all costs. People, including children, who show an interest in nature can find many community groups (bird clubs, conservation groups etc.) to join but membership of most groups has declined with very few young people joining.

I believe that the real issue is that our western culture does not clearly identify with nature, even though our rampant consumerism does rely on nature to feed it. I also believe that most Australians do want to conserve our wildlife but as has been stated earlier, as long as it doesn't impact negatively on them. There are also people who think that environmental issues are so complex that they just ignore them and hope that the 'experts' or the government will look after them. Scientists are often not very good at relaying their research results to the general public. That is why scientists like Tim Flannery are so important, while I may not agree with everything that he states, he is raising the issues and being provocative. As a grandparent the differences that I see between our children and our grandchildren is quite stark. Despite that fact that our older grandchildren have their faces glued to screens much of the time once they are extracted from the technology they still show a great interest in the natural world either by experiencing it in bushland areas or in museums. Our children, while not being actively anti-environment think that environmentalism is an extreme view held by their parents. It creates much humour in the family.

While typing this I just heard on ABC Radio that a survey of teenagers showed that only 31% were concerned about the environment.

Greg

Dr Greg. P. Clancy

Ecologist and Birding-wildlife Guide

PO Box 63 Coutts Crossing NSW 2460