birding-aus

Threatened species and the OBP

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: Threatened species and the OBP
From: David Adams <>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 18:51:15 +1100
> I think that this issue is larger than just laying the blame on those who
are doing their best to care for our biodiversity,
> be it government departments or non-profit organisations.  If they are
failing it is not because of their lack of commitment.

That seems hard to argue with. It's difficult to imagine that people
involved in habitat and wildlife care and restoration don't care a lot. If
I understood Prof. Flannery's point, the problem is organizational, not
individual. If I remember correctly, he made much the same point nearly
twenty years ago in The Future Eaters. As I remember it, the way he
approached it there was that the system of reserves and parks in Australia
wasn't rational, consistent or aimed at any particular outcome. In the clip
that kicked off these threads, his point that no one is accountable
_structurally_ seemed like a reasonably common-sense perspective.