birding-aus

Threatened species and the OBP

To: <>
Subject: Threatened species and the OBP
From: "Richard King" <>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 08:26:33 +0800
Hi All,

I agree with Debbie, that most Aussies don't really care about our animals
or environment generally, maybe only about some cute ones, like koalas etc.
The vast majority of people don't understand even the basic ecological
principles, sadly even after years of David Attenborough shows and others. I
think, sadly we often think they do (or hope they do), because we are
involved with a circle of people who do care and understand, either
colleagues involved with wildlife or those who visit nature reserves on a
regular basis. This probably clouds the way the community really is! I can
only go by what I see and hear from my non-wildlife friends, family and
local community, generally they know very little and care little, the
environment's nice and should be saved, but as long as it doesn't upset my
lifestyle and I'm busy anyway!

Birding organisations (and others) in Australia in promoting birds and
environment have dropped the ball for far too long, we have missed at least,
a whole generation of school kids, who love technology, but not the natural
world. The community hasn't helped with removing many places (wetlands etc)
or stopping kids going to places, where the love for natural things grows.
Mobile phones and computers have filled the void.

After lots of travel to the UK, I also see a different attitude and
mentality in Australia to wildlife. Maybe it's the cold harsh winters over
there where people are forced to read books inside or watch TV, and often
are more interested in wildlife, plus the British attitude of ' this is our
British wildlife, so we will look after it, God save the Queen'. I know they
have their environmental problems too, but more people are in some way
interested enough in wildlife to do things, the RSPB has over a million
members alone! What I see of Australia sadly, is a country where, probably
due to our better climate among many factors, promotes a huge interest in
sport and being outside. More of an attitude of 'let's have a barbie' and
'she'll be right mate'. Australia, I think is one of the best countries in
the world, but our general attitude is rebellious (from our convict
beginnings?) and just out to have a good time, without considering future
implications. I know not all Aussie are like this, but to me this does
appear to be the 'general spirit' of Australia concerning many issues and
I'm not sure how it will change, at least not in the short term.

Regards,

Richard king