birding-aus

The twelve Tasmanian endemics

To: Murray Lord <>
Subject: The twelve Tasmanian endemics
From: "Jeremy O'Wheel" <>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2012 19:17:06 +1000
I sent a private email about this to Paul, but agree with JJ about the
unlikelyness of Tas Thornbill at PM.  I too have been there countless times
and never seen one. I've also heard a number of other local birders express
doubt in those records. But I think passing through or otherwise vagrant
can't be ruled out.

White "underpants" is the best ID feature in my opinion. Also if you get a
photo, the difference in breast striations is definitely noticeable. I've
found the colour of the wing panels difficult due to light.  Calls are
different but I find field guide descriptions poor, and have relied more
obviously learning from listening after visual IDs.

Tas Thorns usually only in genuine rainforest or very wet mixed forest, and
on islands without Browns. I was told in a zoology subject at uni that the
distribution of Tas Thorns is based on being excluded by Browns, which out
compete Tas, so they should only very very rarely be found together (and
never in mixed flocks, as has been reported at PM). I don't know the
reference for this claim though.

Regards, Jeremy